- Lindbergh Schools
Communicating Weather-Related School Closures
As colder weather approaches, Lindbergh Schools is actively planning ahead for potential school closures that can result from snow, ice or other inclement weather. Please read on for information about snow days, learning from home, and how the district will communicate with families and staff.
In the event of inclement weather, we will decide to close school based on a number of factors, including student safety, bus transportation, road conditions and wind chill temperature.
The district has planned to use three to four days in the 2021-22 school year calendar for inclement weather or “snow days,” should weather make travel to or from school unsafe for students or staff. This means that school will be closed, and students will not attend classes. Snow days include students in ARC and Lindbergh Early Childhood Education.
Learning From Home
In the event that we use all of the emergency closure days before spring arrives, the district will use technology such as Zoom and Canvas to allow students to participate in school from home. This learning from home plan is also known as Alternative Methods of Instruction (AMI) Days, where the state of Missouri allows virtual learning for school attendance. These virtual learning opportunities allow our students to continue to engage with teachers on days when it is unsafe to travel to and from school. It also benefits families by ensuring that the school year does not extend past Memorial Day.
How We Communicate
When possible, the decision to close school is made by 10 p.m. the night before; however, weather events often occur in the early morning. If the decision cannot be made by 10 p.m., then a decision will be made between 5 a.m. and 5:30 a.m. the next morning.
Our school district uses the following tools to communicate school closures due to inclement weather:
- Text: Families and staff will receive a text from us anytime the district is closed due to inclement weather.
- Email: All families and staff will receive an email notification when school is closed.
- Phone: Families and staff will receive a phone call if the decision to cancel school is made during the day or before 10 p.m.
- Website: Inclement weather information will be posted on the homepage of our district website.
- Social Media: Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for weather-related closures.
- Mobile App: Download the Lindbergh Schools mobile app from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store to receive push notifications for weather-related closures.
- Local News: Lindbergh Schools will be listed on all major TV and radio stations in the event of a weather-related closure.
We appreciate your partnership and support, and wish you a safe winter season!