Truman Middle School Flyer TimeAs the Truman family, we value respect, responsibility, and honesty in our education.Core Values: Family, Respect, Responsibility, Honesty, EducationWhat is Flyer Time:
Flyer Time classes are designed to engage students in a structured time where relationships, character, and literacy are prioritized. These groups meet daily for 23 minutes. On Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, we promote literacy. Students and teachers read and conference about what they are reading. On Tuesdays and Thursdays, teachers and flight crew members (student leaders) teach character lessons and participate in activities that promote positive qualities in students. These Flyer Time classes serve as small families within our school community.“Character education is not
- Student led activities and discussion time to improve school culture and climate
- Flight Crew - Student leaders
- 23 minute classes in the mornings everyday, 7:40-8:03 A.M.
- Multi-aged classes consisting of 6th, 7th, & 8th graders
- Emphasis on relationships, character building, and literacy
something new to add to your plate.
It is the plate!”
—Superintendent John Walko (NY school)
What is Flight Crew?
Flight Crew leaders have been selected to represent students because they exhibit the following qualities:
- Strong character traits
- Ability to positive influence peers
- Dedicated to improve Truman
- Are positive role models at Truman
Flight Crew members are Peer Leaders who work to:
- Improve our school community
- Improve our school climate
- Lead activities in Flyertime
- Lead reflective discussions
- Represent their Flyer Time’s opinion at meetings
- Debrief their Flyer Time community following meetings