The present day location of the first Sappington School was a rock schoolhouse facing Eddie & Park Road. The rock schoolhouse was built in 1868 for $1,367. It was replaced in 1891 with a two-room frame structure. In April 1901, a major wind storm blew the schoolhouse sideways on its foundation. Classes were suspended until a new frame building was completed in November 1901 for $3,000.
During the 1920s, enrollment increased and more modern facilities were needed. In 1926, voters approved a $37,577 bond issue for the construction of a new building with four classrooms, an auditorium and a cafeteria. Additions were made in 1948, 1950, 1955, 1968 and 2008. Sappington School housed the first high school from 1950-51, until the current high school was built on Lindbergh Boulevard.